Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Happiness

I spend allot of time wondering what I truly believe in and what are the things in my life that make me a happy person.

As I got older and I got to understand myself a bit better I realised on of the main contributors to my happiness was the lack of energy I would direct at things that made my life complicated and frustrating.

I am no nihilist, nevertheless my experience with situations that cause me to worry or feel stressed has led me to device strategies to avoid letting these situations ruin my life.

The main idea here is that the more energy I’m going to feed into a displeasing situation the more the situation will reduce my general happiness.

Ignoring small everyday situations and not complaining about them breaks the loop in which I have found myself entangled in so many times.

I walk down the road and realise I forgot my subway pass and I’m late for work, at that moment two options open to me in how I deal with the situation:

1 I moan about it, I complain and I run back to get my pass believing this is the first of a series of events that’ll ruin my day as if I had gotten up on the wrong foot.

2 I laugh about it, I let the situation slide of me giving it no importance at all and I get my pass from my house.

Either way I'm gonna be late.

Obviously option 2 is the better choice because life is full of situations that’ll make it a hassle.

The idea is too ignore the situations that are of no importance and to concentrate with dealing with the ones that do matter at a deeper level. This approach has the advantage of giving me the necessary energy to concentrate on the important things instead of wasting it on unimportant events that I most of the time have no control over.

It is so easy to make our lives a living hell by letting small things condense into bigger and bigger issues and problems, cutting the grass under a situations foot pre-emptively allows me to go about my life in relative happiness.

We all have strategies to cope with life’s situations it would be great if we could share them here together.

I think the most important thing to remember is that many small problems lead to bad days, terrible weeks and at the end of the day a shitty life. That’s what I try to avoid.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

i moan so much about every single tiny hassle that i coudl write a book just about it. I'll try your technique for a few days, and i'll tell you how it gets...
if i feel better i'll get you a mars bar when you come and visit friday night :-)

Anonymous said...

Interresting post mate. I used to complain alot myself. Moaning to my girlfriend about everything, untill one day I made a complete U-Turn...

Heh, now you might find me easily influenced, but when I read some articles by "mr mafioso" about 12 Ways Men Became Sissies & Whiners on the Askmen Men's magazine website. Like a woman reading a beauty magazine, I got complex about everything I wanted to complain about to her...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I still think he has a good point, even though you can only take about 50% of what he says serious ;-)