Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year, resolutions and a pretty darn good quote!

Like millions of us, I was never really good at sticking to the new year resolutions proclaimed drunk at a new year party I should have probably avoided.

Maybe the blame should be placed on the new year party itself, on the doubtful booze mixes, on the bad music, or simply on acquaintances whose proximity is at the antipodes of what I like to call cosy.

As an intelligent citizen perhaps it would be best I just admitted I didn’t have the willpower to hold on to those resolutions as if my honour and reputation depended on them. But that really isn’t an easy task is it? I mean who blames themselves these days, who takes responsibility and lives with it?

In my defence (yes I feel attacked in my pride by … myself); I prefer to envision the situation in a more rational way which goes something like this:
“As a result of numerous pointless new year related parties in which I felt as useless as Ann Franks drum kit and where alcohol didn’t serve a grander goal than getting totally trashed only to forget the intellectual decisions, at the time sadly conscious, that led me to the above mentioned party, I as a citizen of the world refuse to associate the honourable resolutions taken at the mentioned time (probably around midnight) into account in my day to day life.
They simply bring back bad memories.”

So here is my new year post which doesn’t contain any resolutions whatsoever but that does contain a series of complex and intertwined philosophical concepts which you can discover by reading it again and again and again…

On a more serious note and in a blatant splurge of grandeur, intellectual wisdom and infinite compassion I shall now quote T.S Eliot who decades ago managed to embody in one sentence what I want to say here:
“For last year's words belong to last year's language and next year's words await another voice.”

I wish you all a glorious new year

P.S my new year night was fantastic :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.